How to Clean Up Your Computer? – Definition, Safety, and More
How to Clean Up Your Computer Definition
Cleaning a computer, be it a desktop or a laptop, is a relatively simple procedure that will take us approximately a couple of hours and that we must do periodically.
It will depend on the environment we find individually and its location, since it is not the same to have a tower at ground level in a house with pets than to have it on the table in a test side.
Although a good approximation maybe once a year, the reality is that there are unmistakable signs such as heating, excessive ventilation, or a noisy fan.
To how to clean up your computer, we will need a series of elements. We have consulted expert editors such as Juan Carlos López.
To start, we will need a precision screwdriver kit ( 8.21 euros ). There will be cases where just one will suffice, but it is advisable to have equipment at home.
In the market, we find many kits of different prices, although considering that it is a purchase “for life,” it is worth it to be of a decent standard, ergonomic, and with a magnetic tip. What is not magnetized? We can do it singly by sliding a magnet from the metal base to the end, repeating the movement several times in the same direction.
To clean surfaces and internal components, we will require a microfiber cloth ( 7.99 euros ), and for the exterior, we can use the same fabric or a dust-catching chamois. Some swabs – earbuds – will also be needed for smaller areas.
We have consulted the experts at Engadget about the liquid used to clean a computer. Their general recommendation is to put the specific cleaners aside and make our cleaning liquid highly efficient and more affordable. Juan Carlos López gives us the recipe:
80% distilled water.
20% isopropyl alcohol ( 9.90 euros )
A few drops of the dehumidifier (photo stores).
Isopropyl alcohol is using to clean electronic devices without harming them, which we will apply in solution.
what are the Safety issues when cleaning a computer?
- Before starting the cleaning of the equipment and its peripherals, we will cut them from the electrical current to avoid release both to us and to the circuits that comprise it. We will also pay special attention to static electricity.
- The components of electronic circuits can be an injury by static electricity that we generate naturally. In this sense, it is advisable to handle them with latex gloves ( 11.04 euros ), which will also protect us from dust and with an antistatic wristband ( 7.49 euros ).
- Electrostatic bracelets are bracelets fixed on the wrist with a cable terminated in a clamp, which we will connect to the ground, the chassis or the metal tower serves us. An alternative to getting rid of static electricity is to touch a metal surface with your fingers.
- If we suffer from respiratory problems or are allergic, it is highly recommending to use a dust mask ( 19.52 euros ) when handling and cleaning the interior of a computer, taking into account the amount of dust that accumulates.
How to clean the tower inside and out?
- The first thing we will do is place the computer on a clean, spacious table, with sufficient lighting and ventilation, and with something underneath, it can be cardboard or plastic rubber, which collects dirt and prevents contacts.
- We turn off the equipment and disconnect it from power. To clean its exterior, we will use a microfiber cloth moistened with the cleaning liquid. For the ports and grooves, better to use the brush or a few puffs of compressed air spray.
- It is time to open the team. In the case of a tower, it is common to find exterior screws that, after removing them, allow one side to be dragging to access the interior. In the case of a laptop, we will turn it over and remove it. Although the interior of the notebooks is nearly similar, the distribution and accesses vary from one brand to another and even between different models.
- Once we have accessed the interior, we apply small puffs of compressed air to the interior fans, affecting the blades and the shaft.
- During the application, we have to take special care in areas where components such as the motherboard, RAM, or processor are located, throwing the puffs at a certain distance.
- It’s time to wash the motherboard and components. As far as possible and in our knowledge to return everything as it was, try to remove the cables and features such as the RAM or the hard disk. The clearer the area, the better we can clean.
- Apply the bristle brush mildly, as well as the swabs or microfiber cloth, depending on the functional space you have. Be careful because the cleaning liquid must not come into contact with the motherboard, the PC cards, or any other delicate electronic element, as moisture could damage them.
- The more components you remove and scrubbed, the better the outcome. However, even if you stick to a superficial cleaning inside, the improvement is remarkable.
How to clean the monitor?
Dust, splashes, and fingerprints make computer screens dirty over time. However, it is relatively easy to leave them clean.
Of course, we will pay special attention to the liquid used for cleaning: no glass cleaner or alcohol, as they can damage the anti-reflective protection of the panels.
According to Juan Carlos López, our editor specialized in image and sound. It is best not to complicate cleaning kits and use a cloth moistened with liquid to clean screens ( 5.60 euros ) or do it ourselves as we have explained above.
With the cleaning liquid ready, we can now clean the monitor, regardless of the type of panel or matt or glossy finishes.
First, we unplug it from the power. In the case of being a laptop, we will disconnect the equipment. We damp microfiber cloth with the
cleaning liquid. We mustn’t apply the juice directly on the screen.
We rub softly in circles, both the panel and the frame, so that the passes are not marked. The alcohol and dehumidifier evaporate the water quickly so that no residue remains.
Cleaning the keyboard:
- Between the keys and under them, we find dust, food, liquids, and other particles that can not work when pressing individual keys.
- To clean a keyboard, the first thing we will do is detach the cable – if it has one – that connects it to the computer. If it is a laptop, we will turn it off and disconnect it from the electrical current. In the case that it uses a PS / 2 port, we will have to unfasten the
keyboard with the equipment turned off.
- Next, we turn it upside down and gently shake it to try to get the dirt out. To remove the remains between the keys that have not come out after putting it upside down. We will use a spray of compressed air. Another alternative is to use a vacuum cleaner, of course, being careful. With the suction power and the state of the keys.
- Once we have removed the embedded dirt, we will clean the surface of the keys. From the finger grease and other substances.
- To do this, we will moisten a cotton cloth and earbuds with the cleaning liquid, gently rubbing the keys and the divisions between them. It is important not to pour the cleaning fluid directly onto the keyboard.
- When the keyboard is clean and dry, we will reconnect it to the computer.
Cleaning the mouse:
- There are two types of mice on the market, the optical type and the mechanical ones. Each is cleaning essentially the same way, although mechanics require a little more dedication to have moving parts.
- In the case of optical mice, internal cleaning is not necessary as they lack moving parts. However, their movement can deteriorate over time due to the storage of dust in the light emitter.
- Mechanical mice are especially sensitive to dust and particles, accumulating them inside, making it difficult to move.
To clean the mouse, the first thing we will do is disconnect. It from the computer, if it has a cable. If you have a PS / 2 port, we will
- first shut down the computer. If it is a wireless mouse, we will remove the batteries.
Next, we will moisten a clean cloth with the cleaning liquid or, failing that, isopropyl alcohol, and clean the exterior.
- If our mouse is mechanical, remove the ball by first removing its stopper. Turning clockwise, so that we can clean both the inside and the ball with the same cloth or dry paper.
- When it is scorched, we will reassemble the parts and connect them to the equipment.
In addition, you can find more helpful resources at Tockhop.
5 Ways To Secure Business E-Mails And File Transfers
Sharing files is a part of any business, whether big or small. In the past, the transfer of documents was…
How to boost your ROI via email marketing?
It is common knowledge that there are various different digital marketing strategies out there, but all experts agree on one…